We are currently hiring for the following position(s):
Farm Manager Position Description
The Farm Manager co-manages with the Field and Facilities Manager, planning and implementing daily activities at Red Wiggler. The Farm Manager's primary responsibilities for our vegetable operation include: greenhouse management, implementing planting schedules, managing work crews, harvesting, post-harvest handling, and distribution (CSA/group home/food bank). Management activities include managing volunteers and growers, setting vocational goals, teaching job skills, and tracking skills development. The Farm Manager will participate in overall leadership of the nonprofit including: developing and implementing safety practices, hiring and supervising seasonal staff and apprentices, and participating in strategic planning.
About Red Wiggler:
Red Wiggler Community Farm (a recognized 501c3 non-profit) is located in Montgomery County, Maryland. Founded in 1996, Red Wiggler’s main tenet is to provide gainful employment for adults with developmental disabilities through a unique horticulture program that uses organic agricultural practices. The bulk of this program focuses on building a vocational structure that identifies and builds on the capabilities of our clients with developmental disabilities. We call our clients “growers”. We assign the growers farm tasks based on their individual abilities which are nurtured by our staff. Our growers cultivate vegetables on seven acres, and then sell or donate this produce to a diverse population.
- Experience working with students and people with developmental/intellectual disabilities
- Minimum of four years of experience in sustainable farming, with at least two years of proven farm management experience
- Experience with greenhouse management, post-harvest handling, and storage of vegetables
- Strong mathematical and computer skills, including calculating distributions and keeping records of planting, harvest, and distribution
- An associates degree or relevant experience
- Tractor operation experience preferred
- Farm market/retail experience preferred
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, flexibility, and a commitment to safety
Reporting Structure: This position reports directly to the Executive Director.
Supervisory Responsibility: Apprentices/seasonal staff, growers, and volunteers
Red Wiggler Community Farm provides a generous employee benefit package including health insurance, 401k, paid leave time, and paid holidays. Note that Red Wiggler does not provide housing for this position.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY